Farewell, ER!!!!


Well, last night was my last shift as a nurse.  My new career will be exciting and full of learning, but as a nurse practitioner, I will be one step away from the patient.  Let me clarify: I am delighted to see all of my hard work manifest in a new career, full of learning, better hours and an increase in pay.  But as I walked out of the ER last night, my heart was broken. I didn't want to go!  It is so silly, I know.

When I left Primary Children's in 2012, I did it with the knowledge that the ER would be temporary, that I was learning so much about adult medicine that I had forgotten or I had never learned at all.  And deep in my heart, I knew that Primary's would suck me back.  I love that place.  When I returned in August of this year, to work my 2-3 times per month I was met with warm greetings and hugs.  I felt like I was home.  A few of my friends I have known for my entire 20 years as a nurse.  It was a soft place to land.

When I started in the ER, I had a steep learning curve, I was stressed about school, and I had one foot out the door- I knew I would graduate and move on.  But, like many places in medicine, there are so many kind, funny and brilliant people that I quickly found a home there too.  I completed all the necessary classes, courses and certifications and became a "true" ER nurse.  A lifelong dream.  You could say that I fell in love. Then I graduated and the long process of testing, licensing, finding a job and credentialing started.  I got comfortable and happy.  And then last night the time came to say goodbye.

As my final shifts ticked away I realized how much I truly love these people!  If you are dying, can't breathe, get shot, are having a heart attack, stroke, are bleeding profusely- you need to go and see my friends in the ER.  They got that crap wired.  Nothing fazes them.  The very few people I watched pass away in the ER were gone before they got there.  We saved everybody.  AMAZING doctors, nurses, techs, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, crisis workers, social workers, registration staff, housekeepers, & security guards.

I kept my smile on my face all the way out the doors.  I had my locker cleaned out, my vocera radio and headphone turned in and every bit of my belongings. Then I got to the parking lot and a couple of hot tears rolled down my cheeks.

So, as I go on to bigger (I won't say better, just different) things, I want to shout out to my peeps at McKay ER:  you are amazing.  I will miss you!  Keep up the good work!

Comments

Popular Posts