Leaving Primary Children's



Well, today was an eventful day.  

After hugging about every person employed at Primary Children's, sharing cookies, yummy breads, salads and my supervisor's Better-Than-$#%-Cake, (and I actually saw a few patients), I turned in my badge and left Primary Children's.

I've done this before.  In 2012, I left for the ER at McKay.  It was one of the most wonderful experiences I have had.  I checked "Work in the ER" off of my bucket list.
I loved it.
But we all knew that I would be back.

Primary's is a part of me like maybe only my family, the church and Roy High are.

I don't know if I will go back.

Mostly, while I have been contemplating this move I have felt relief.  I work too much.  I am a cranky, mean mom when I work too much.  Which is always.  Working at ORMC as a hospitalist is so interesting and mentally rewarding.  (My kids call me "House").  But it is taxing as well.

Primary Children's Same Day Surgery was a bright spot in my week. The kids are so cute and innocent and smart and clean and funny.  You just can't have a better patient than a pediatric patient.

Until going to Primary's became stressful too.  Because some weeks I was working upwards of 60 hours if I was at both places. (Granted, it was only twice a month, but twice a month for 2 years can become a grind).

I have looked for a full time gig at PCH.  There just hasn't been one that was a good fit. Or I applied too late.  Or the job was just as busy as I am now...only 51 miles away.

Anyway, about a month ago, I decided that something had to give.  I know that I have been with Intermountain for 21 years.  But I was starting to crack.  After prayer, pleading with the universe, talking it over with Jeremy, Melinda and finally having my Mom tell me what to do (she never stops telling me what to do.  And darn it, if she isn't always right)  I decided that I had to pull the trigger... so to speak.

I typed up a letter of resignation.  Mostly, I felt relief.

Today, I was sad to say goodbye to my friends, but I felt relief.

Every day, I have been so excited to shave 24 hours of work out of my month.  Just so RELIEVED.

I joked with my friends today that I was going to schedule a big, ugly cry for 5:30 pm.

But I didn't cry then.

I am crying now.


Primary's has been so much to me.

I have worked:
Neuro/Trauma (formerly Rehab)
Pediatric ICU
Float Pool (ie Rapid Treatment, Newborn ICU, Emergency, Children's Surgical, Children's Medical, ImmunoCompromised Services, NTU, PICU and one shift in MRI)
and Same Day Surgery/PreOp/PostOp and PACU.
Both as an RN and a Nurse Practitioner,

Almost everything I know as a nurse came from Primary's. 

I was mentored by the best.  The best nurses and the best doctors. I worked with the best CNAs, Techs and Respiratory Therapists.  Back in my rehab days, the best physical therapists as well.


So, here are some images of the best place on the planet for a sick kid:


Superman, just hanging out upstairs


Mural of Jesus and the little children, 3rd Floor


SpiderMan, guarding the Coffee Cart.



 This guy was outside before the remodel. I don't know where he went.
(edit: I have been informed by my hubby and a fellow Primary's nurse, that this guy was moved to the 3rd floor by the Forever Young Zone)

 CT Scanner

 New clinic area


Old Entrance sign


Well, thank you for allowing me to trip down memory lane.

Primary's has been a HUGE part of my life. 

I have been blessed to work there, to serve children and their families.

It has been a gift, and I will miss it.

Comments

Popular Posts