My True Story in 100 Words or Less

Reader's Digest has a recurring column called Your True Story in 100 Words or Less.  I have been intrigued by squeezing a memory into just a few words.  I don't do ANYTHING in 100 words or less!

Well, I gave it a shot.  It was hard, but fun!  Here is my submission.  I will let you know if they pick it for publishing!



Reared in large Mormon families, we happily grew our own. When the ultrasound revealed a perfectly formed, but still fetus of 18 weeks, my heart shattered. Telling my husband solidified my grief; my mom's cries intensified my own. But telling my four children there would be no baby magnified my grief unimaginably. Thinking there could be no solace, we wept together.  Then: a ray of light.  My 3 year old, big for his age, came to me.  In his deep, gravelly voice, he said with chubby hands on my cheeks, "Mom.  I'll be your baby."  My heart began to mend.


I hope you like it.  :)

Comments

Popular Posts