How do you spell A-P-P-E-N-D-E-C-T-O-M-Y?


Many of my work friends already know this, but my sweet Jeremy had his appendix taken out last night. What a fiasco!

On Tues. morning he started complaining of abdominal pain, which is very unusual for him. When we went to bed that night, we joked about appendicitis. By Wednesday afternoon, we were no longer joking. The once generalized pain had now localized to the right lower quadrant and he did have rebound tenderness. (For any non-medical readers of my blog, that is when it hurts to poke your abdomen, but it hurts worse when you let go.)

So he went to see his doctor on Wednesday afternoon. They drew blood and scheduled a CT scan for yesterday morning.

Here's where it gets interesting. I called in sick to work, assuming that he was going to have surgery. We went to the hospital, had the CT and they SENT US HOME!! Hello? I asked them, isn't someone going to read it? He is here to rule out appendicitis. The answer I got? "Well, his doctor didn't order it stat, so someone will read it in a day or two and call you."

So, Jeremy and I both headed into work to make money while we waited for him to go into septic shock. No worries!

I was at work for approximately an hour and a half before Jeremy called and said that Dr. Harold had called to say "Get to the hospital!"

Oh, the fun we have. So I zipped to Ogden and Jeremy had a Laparoscopic Appendectomy. After he was out of surgery for an hour, they were ready to send him home. Huh? He was still in quite a bit of pain and on Oxygen (For my nurse friends, his sats were 80 on RA when asleep.) His dad went straight to work and called the surgeon, who ordered him to stay over.

Jeremy came home this morning and is doing well. Thank Heaven!

Apparently I made a good decision when I signed up for a Flex Spending Account for '09!!

Comments

  1. Yikes! That's a scary story. I hope he's doing well now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow! What an ordeal! I''m glad Jeremy's doing okay. Sounds like some interesting medical care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you spell Law Suit!?! I can not believe they sent you guys home. What a crazy adventure. I am glad He is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You HAVE been busy! Glad Jeremy is okay. It is never fun to have a sick man in the house. By the way, the chart.... GROSS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that you might think that, Jules. At least it is an illustration and not the real thing! I work with too many nurses to know what real people think!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kind of a hospital is that? They wanted him to go home c sats of 80%? DUH, DUH DUH!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad he's doing better. Nice to know there are bright people out there taking care of us!!! What a bunch od dinderheads. Good thing you knew better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When are you going to take the horrific picture off of your blog?? Hee Hee Jeremy would probably agree with me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts