"It’s like prison but super spiritual all the time"

Oh my goodness!  Mitchell has now been in the MTC for a week and a half.  Who knew that time could go soooooo slow???  However, my prayers have been answered and our little monkey is already acting like a Stake President and shouldering his responsibility as District Leader.

Yesterday was his "P" day.  Missionaries get one preparation day per week.  Outside of the MTC, this day usually falls on a Monday.  They have until 6 pm to wash clothes, grocery shop, perform service, wash their car if they are assigned one, polish shoes, and the like.

In the MTC, there are about 3000-3700 missionaries.  Obviously, they cannot all have the same preparation day.  So, Mitchell's P day is on Saturday.

I sent Mitchell an email on Friday night to tell him that I would be stalking my email account from about 9 am on throughout the day.  I did not want to miss him.  If you are lucky enough to catch when they send their email, you can email back and forth for a time.  HEAVEN for a mother missing her baby bird!!

So, at 9:54 I get this message:

Sooooooo, I have an IPad and I can email all day. I’m excited to do
laundry bcuz I need clothes like something fierce lol

I began laughing because this is totally my son. We chatted back and forth about pictures that he needed to load and about what he had been doing all week.  Here was a little pearl:

I’ll send my big update later but I’ll tell you some things that were cool so far. I sang in the MTC choir and we got to listen to Elder Ballard. Ummmm a ton of Spanish, on like day three we started teaching an investigator and taught him 5 lessons and now we’re are teaching native Spanish speakers sooo that’s pretty cool.

I thought that he sounded pretty on top of it.  My response: "You sound like such a pro.. "Yeah, I'm singing in the choir, Chillin' with Elder Ballard.  And, ya know, Yo hablo espanol muy bien...'

He was quick to disabuse me of the notion that he is a pro.  The best response that I got from him all day followed:

I’m no pro lol I just do what I’m told.I mean all I do is go to class eat study exercise  eat class sleep. It’s like prison but super spiritual all the time


This was also very "Mitchell".  Do what needs to be done.  Do it with a smile.  Make funny observations.

Finally, I was able to see the photos that he loaded to our shared drive.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I have sent a 12-year-old out on a mission.


(He thinks he is hilarious)

(There are about 10 of these)

How about his stuffed animal he took with him?

That is Everest, or as Mitchell calls him, Mr. Wooley Monster. (I crocheted it for him)

This is Mitchell's companion, Elder Majestic.
WHAT A NAME!!!

The Mission Training Center

The Provo Temple

The Mountains at Sunrise, Outside the MTC

He also sent a few pictures of the Sister Missionaries from his district. 


I have no idea what these lovely sister's names are.  I will edit at a future date!!
So, my oldest monkey is doing well.  I am so excited about this that I can't stand it!!  Here is the letter that he sent out to everyone: 

Another week at the MTC

Hey guys! I have learned a absolute ton at the MTC this week.
Especially on how I need to rely more fully on the Spirit when
teaching. I had a great example of this while teaching an investigator
here in the MTC in only Spanish. Not knowing the language too well I
did my best and talked about the restoration of the gospel. It wasn’t
until I bore my testimony to him did I feel a change in what he
needed. I know that I’m in the right place and that every thing I
doing isn’t for me but rather for God's children.

A funny story for this week, I told my companion after messing up a
Spanish phase that I was “ muy embarasado” which doesn’t mean
embarrassed like I thought but means pregnant. So yeah I said that to
a class full of my District (who are all Hermanas) oh well live and
learn.

Well I love you all and if you think I’m not talking about you I am. I
pray for all y’all to feel the love God has for you because man oh man
do I feel how much I need it

See ya next week
Elder Evans




It is such a blessing to have Elder Evans in the MTC, learning Spanish, and preparing to serve the people of Oklahoma.

THANKS FOR READING IF YOU MADE IT THIS FAR!!!

Comments

Popular Posts