Logan: 4.15.23 Episode 1: A Call to Adventure

 This week has been so crazy, but in all the best ways. There are so many specifc experiences that I want to share and get into, but for the sake of time, and my own sanity, we'll stick to general expericences for now. Sunday was... interesting, to say the least. When I woke up that morning I felt like I was in a panic, trying my best to hold things together and failing spectacularly. It seemed to me that it was my last few hours of normalcy, and I was scrambling to talk to friends and family before my options would become much more narrow. I texted and talked and still the tensions didn't ease. So, off to church I went. I wanted to see mis amigos uno mas, so I went to the YSA ward to see them, and say goodbye. It was the best decision I could've made, and it was also incredibly difficult. After church I went and got set apart, which is an experience I will not soon forget. Something my Stake President told me is that I need to find joy and happiness in my mission, and similar things were said to me by my mom, and my teachers. I didn't know what he meant until the next day.


Monday began, again, in a rush. I rushed to study and say my prayers, eat breakfast, and get in a grueling arm workout with my dad before 8:45 am, and with waking up at 6:30, it was a crunch indeed. But I got to meet my teachers in the online MTC. Mi maestros en la manana are Hermano Canchez and Hermana Felix (They're engaged, but don't tell them I told you, apparently its a secret). They are the ones responsible for taking my barely inteligable espanol, and turning it into a gospel preaching machine. Needless to say they, and I, have a long road ahead of us. That class goes for about 3 hours, and after I had a workshop. They taught about how to find joy and peace as a missionary. This is where the brutal honestly comes in. Up until this point, I was not enjoying myself. It was all overwhelming and I was super outside my comfort zone, like Elder Swift (one of my companions. Yes, I'm in a trio, more on that later) says, "It's like drinking from a firehose in the best way." But this workshop taught me that there is joy and fulfillment to be found in my mission. Sure, it won't be as easy as hanging out with the homies and working out for an hour every day, but there can be joy nonetheless. After I had a short break, in which I ran some errands with my ma. The afternoon class was a little different. This one is more centered on teaching the gospel, both in spanish and English, and goes from 4:30 to around 8:30. Hermana Sanchez, our teacher es muy amable y comico. She really has a way of inviting the spirit into the class, and is always super helpful for any questions we have, either in espanol or in ingles.

The next three days kinda followed the same formula, up at 6:30, breakfast, study, exercise, shower and then class time. But something was wrong. It was the fourth day in the online MTC, and my companion, Elder Galbraith, still hadn't showed. This was becoming increasingly concerning because without him there was no companion study, and being the only missionary in my district without a companion, I was the odd man out. (It should also be noted that during this time the reason for Galbraith's absence was connectivity issues) But Thursday night Hermana Sanchez pulled me aside and broke the news, he wasn't going to be at the MTC. At this point I had considered that a possibility, I myself had considered once or twice during this week whether or not I wanted to stay on the mission, but I never my companion wouldn't show up. I know how he feels though. I know that if I were to go out 6 months ago I for sure wouldn't have gone. So when I did hear this news I was actually quite happy for him. I know the decision he made was the one best for what he was feeling, and Hermana Sanchez agreed. So, I got put with Elder Swift and Elder Holbrook, and we became the three, blonde know-it-alls in the disrict. It's also because of this that we often get off track whilst studying and discussing the gospel, so it's a double edged sword I guess. Something else that I think is worth noting is that in the same meeting Hermana Sanchez told me that my spanish was actually really good, relative to how new I was to the language, and to that I would attribute the amazing advice that I've been given, and straight up the blessings of my father in heaven. But I will say, for those who are planning on a mission, pray for help, and pray oft. Don't be afraid of what you're leaving behind, look forward to who you'll be teaching. Anyways, I'm writing this in some of the freetime I have (it's currently Friday) but I'll send this out on my pday. 

One more thing before I go. For my mission, to keep me invested in my emails and to practice my writing skills for the future, every couple of weeks or so I will be releasing an episode of an adventure. This adventure may or may not mirror the adventure that is my mission, but that is ultimately for you to decide. Down below is the first episode, or snippet, entitled, A Call to Adventure.

~~~

Thane sat in the tavern, watching the counter with a blank expression as those around him moved to and frow. He heard a loud crash in the corner and looked up to see Ashwydil and Kalypso making fools of themselves. Kalypso in particular was curled up in a ball laughing so hard that her face now had more in common with a tomato than an actual human. Ashwyndil lay on the floor, face up and staring at the ceiling with a stupid grin on her face, an overturned table to her right with drinks spattered all over the floor. Thane hadn't been watching, but if he were to guess, Ashwyndil probably had tried to tap dance on the table whilst Kalypso sang for her. 

Idiots, Thane thought, though he tried with difficulty to remove the smile off his face. His attempt failed. Thane looked behind him, out the tavern window and into the town. It was shrowded in darkness, nightfall having crept her fingers into the land as silently as an assasin. What little light there could've been was now swallowed in the storm that tore at the tavern's walls. Thane gave a grunt and turned back to the counter. Ashwyndil and Kalypso were now arm in arm, dancing around the tavern as if they were attending a grand ball.

A real handful, those two could be, but despite that Thane was comfortable. Life could remain like this for all of eternity, and Thane would have no complaints. He leaned forward over the counter, swiping a bottle of some brown liquid as he did so, and gave it a nice swig. The flavor was pungent, and it made his throat burn as he swallowed. Just the way he liked it. As he lifted the bottle for another mouthful, something banged hard against the tavern door. In an eye blink Thane had spun, throwing off his long black leather coat, and had unsheathed a large hunting dagger. It wasn't amazing, but it would do. The tavern froze, all eyes either turning to Thane or the door. 

Nothing sounded exept the Wind. 

Thane began to sit when the tavern door was flung wide open, revealing the dark stormy night outside and... nothing. Thane stood frozen, hand still firmly planted on his dagger, waiting. One of the folk nearest the door stood as if to close it, when something small and thin flew into the tavern through the opening. People ducked their heads as it flew in loops and banks around the inside, passing through nearly the entire tavern proper, before coming to a rest on the counter before Thane. The tavern remained silent, besides the sound of the man shutting and latching the door.

On the counter lay a small white envelope, which despite just being in the storm, was dry and unwrinkled. On the fold of the envelope was sky blue wax, stamped to resemble the wind rustling through the leaves. Those immediately around Thane stared in amazement at the parchment, while the others in the tavern whispered in hushed voices and curious tones. The only ones who hadn't looked suprised in the slightest were Ashwyndil and Kalypso, both of whom were smiling softly.

So the day had finally arrived. Thane had known this was comming, he had prayed for it, after all. But he didn't think the Wind would respond so soon. What now lay before Thane he knew all too well. It was a call, a call to adventure.
___________________

Sorry, there's only three pictures. The only thing you haven't seen is my messy room. Being stuck at home doesn't create the greatest environment for picture taking. Talk to you guys next week!





Comments

Popular Posts