Logan: 4.29.2023 Everything is Yellow

 I've done it. I've officially made it to breaking bad land, and boy is it hot here. I'll give a quick synopsis of my week because I don't have much time, and I'm sick, so I wanna go rest.


Monday: Monday was the last day of online MTC, and I spent most of the day packing my bags for Mexico. I also had an amazing birthday party with my family and my grandparents, and it was so nice to get to see them again before I left.

Tuesday: I woke up an hour before I was supposed to because of my nerves. I got all my stuff together, and we packed up our car and headed to the airport. When we got there I was feeling so nervous, and I didn't know how I would feel when I left. And this is when the spirit came in clutch. When I was saying goodbye to my family I was a little sad, but when I left and went through security, I wasn't totally devastated, which is something that I was worried about. The flight was cool at first, but I forgot to take my Dramamine and so on the descent I got super motion sick and almost threw up. Afterwards I was left with a massive headache, which I had to deal with while we waited in the airport for 2 HOURS. That was not the greatest thing in the world, but what can you do? When we exited the airport the whole sky and everything around it had a slight yellow tinge to it. What they said about Mexico was true after all (or maybe it was the effect of my blue light glasses). We then took a bus ride through the city. All of the other missionaries said that the city was beautiful, and from what I could tell it was, however at the same time I was physically keeping myself from sharing my breakfast with everyone else on the bus. We got to the MTC, and went through all sorts of rules and instructions which quite frankly I'm too lazy to actually list them out. We had a small lunch, a devo, and then some dinner and I went to my house to get some sleep. That's where I met my new companion! His name is Elder Pomares, and we started getting along really well. The story about him getting to the Mexico MTC is bonkers, but again, I'm too lazy to write it.

Wednesday was awesome. There were a lot of meetings and figuring out where we needed to go and what needed to be done on a day to day basis, and then we had our first class, which is only Spanish speaking. Each time we speak in English we get a strike from our teacher, and given that we suck at Spanish, she's given us 7 strikes. The first sorry soul to get all seven has to buy candy for the whole class. After lunch and some workshops we had our afternoon class, which is preach my gospel and some tutoring in Spanish. We had a meeting in the evening where it was decided that my companion, Elder Pomares, is our district leader! Which, by extension, makes me the leader of our house. Essentially I became the mom of the house, making sure laundry gets done, turning off the lights the elders leave on, cleaning the floors and shutting doors they leave open. Now I know how my mom feels.

Thursday was basically a repeat of Wednesday but without all the meetings and without me having to wear a blasted suit. Seriously, it is so hot all the time, but strangely I'm at a higher elevation than back at home. Also, AC doesn't exist here in the MTC, so I sleep with the windows open at night to get some of that sweet cool evening air. One thing that I should mention is that we have devotionals with all of the Latino Elders, and their thoughts and insights have been incredible. The spirit is so strong here with all the elders and Hermanas, and it's been wonderful to see its effect on my life.

Friday was really good. I woke up with really bad allergies and an itchy mouth, but proceeded with my day. Classes went as per usual, but one of our other instructors, Hermano Campos, shared a message that I thought was really moving. He told of an experience where for a year straight he would text this girl who was struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts. Each time he would talk to her he would tell of all the things that he had studied in the Book of Mormon, and of all the great things that life had in store for her. After a year or two of this, she was baptized, and she continues in her faith today. The point of this story is that we can only get so much from the Book of Mormon when we are studying it for ourselves, which granted, is a lot, but we can get so much more when we study for someone else. So this week I want to invite you to include in your studies real intent. Pray, and ask for help to study with someone in mind, and I promise that as you do, you will see so many different teachings and things you can use to help that person. Another really special experience I had yesterday was being able to give and receive a priesthood blessing from my companions. It was really powerful, because in those blessings all of us were able to say and hear exactly what we needed. For me specifically, I was able to bless my companion, and he said that there were things that I said that he didn't even know that he needed. And for me, one of the elders, Elder Swift, said and spoke of things that he had no way of knowing, and yet they were true. This to me was a great example of the power of listening to the spirit. Really giving in and following the promptings you feel, no matter how ridiculous or out of the normal they feel, is something that we should all strive to do more often. The spirit was given as a guide to each of us, and it makes sense that when we use that spirit, miracles can occur.

Anywho, I have here a lot of pictures for those who came just for them. I love you all and I will talk to you next week!










Comments

Popular Posts