Logan: 5.12.23 A Really Eventful Week

 I'm starting to think that I will never have enough time to get anything done, but alas, I will try nonetheless.


Saturday was really cool. The morning class we had some fantastic lessons on spanish, and though I was a little frustrated with myself in the morning, later I realized how much progress I had made. Also, in case I haven't told you guys about the food here. It is absolutely amazing. I think that this is the healthiest that I have been in a long time, and I am happy to report that I am thinning out a bit. Heaven knows I'll need it before I go out into the field. Anyways, During companion study Elder Pomares and I were studying the creation chapters in the books of Moses and Abraham, and it was so cool to see how much science and religion line up in those chapters. After that, and during our class we hada testimony meeting, in the middle of a thunderstorm!!!! It was so amazing, and that is definitely something that I am in love with down here in mexico. For the past week we have had at least one thunderstorm every day, and the rain has been much needed.

Sunday was fast and testimony meeting, and because it was the first time I had fast in a really long time I was so hungry the whole day. During sacrament meeting I sang a song in front of our branch with Elder Pomares and Elder Rowe. They were doing harmonies, but I think I sang too loud because everyone said that they couldn't hear them. I was so nervous while singing that my legs were shaking, but I also didn't want to pass out, so I ended up alternating my legs back and forth so I wouldn't fall over. Afterwards the President of the MTC came up to me and said that I had a really good voice, and he invited me to perform a special musical number in front of the MTC. I told him I would think about it, because honestly the idea of being up in front of that many people kinda freaks me out. I bore my testimony in sacrament, in Spanish, and I could really feel the spirit strong in that room. After that we had some time to relax, study and meet with our district. So overall Sunday was pretty chill. I will say though, when the fast ended, all of the Elders here in the MTC turned into ravenous animals. I think the average for the Elders at that meal was around 3 plates of food, and I had 4 or 5. So yeah, that happened.

Monday was fairly average as far as classes go. There were only 2 really noteworthy experiences. The first was that while in my Spanish morning class I was reading some instructions on how to pray. Everything seemed normal until I realized that the instructions I was reading were entirely in Spanish, and that I had no problem at all reading it. It was such a small experience, but one that really told of the power of faith, dedication, and a little bit of the power of God. The other experience that was really cool was when I gave a blessing to one of the Hermanas in our district. She had been really struggling with all the stress lately, and so she needed a blessing of comfort. I was able to give one with my companion, and like before, it was amazing to see words just fall into my mouth straight out of heaven. Again it reminded me of the small miracles that can abound in our daily lives, and it was a really good testimony builder.

Tuesday was really tough. At about three pm we found out that Isaac Heninger, a missionary in Latin, had tragically passed away on Sunday. This was especially hard for us because Isaac was one of Elder Pomares' best friends, and one of the main reasons E. Pomares is here today. I owe my friendship and my brotherhood with Elder Pomares to Elder Heninger. From what I could tell, and from what the Spirit testified to me that day, I know that God wanted Elder Heninger home, and that he has a great work prepared for him. I also know that I was put in this companionship with Elder Pomares so that I could help him during this difficult time, and I have a feeling that all those here in the MTC were prepared for very similar reasons. Sometimes life doesn't seem fair. For those who are young it seems cruel to have so much of a future whisked away so suddenly. But what I know is that God has a plan for his children. This plan is perfect, and it can redeem all, and give rest to those who need it. I know that Elder Heninger is resting in the mansions of our Father, and I know that we can as long as we just keep going, taking it one day at a time. I admire Elder Pomares, because even after this he is determined to continue serving, and he will see this mission through. it reminds me of a scripture that I had shared with him afterwards. It's in Alma 17:13
"13 And it came to pass when they had arrived in the borders of the land of the Lamanites, that they aseparated themselves and departed one from another, trusting in the Lord that they should meet again at the close of their bharvest; for they supposed that great was the work which they had undertaken."

Wednesday was really cool. In the evening I, along with my comp and the Hermanas, gave a 2 hour presentation. Here's the cool part, none of the missionaries in the district we were presenting to spoke any English, whatsoever. It was really cool to see that I had enough of a grasp on the language to talk for 2 hours. Granted, I had a lot of help from the wife of the branch president, and from some of the Missionaries who are bilingual, but for the most part it was just us gringos.

Thursday was cool for three reasons. The first was my personal study. For those of you interested it is a gospel topic essay titled The Book of Mormon and DNA Studies. The whole thing is about how DNA can't be used to disprove or prove the BoM. One thing that stuck out to me is that Lehi, Muleki and Jared were likely not the only groups to come here to the americas. If you remember correctly, there is nothing saying that any of the groups were the first to arrive in the americas. IDK, just a little bit of a history lesson for you. The second really cool thing was the MTC President. Yesterday President Hymas was really nice to me and gave me some really amazing compliments. It made my day. Also the MTC council we had that night with the other Zone leaders and Sister Training Leaders was really cool because we got to see all of the missionaries working together for a common goal.

Anywho, that's all folks. Until next time.
Elder Evans
(P.S. the thunderstorms and clouds here are absolutely fantastic, take a peek)















Comments

Popular Posts