LIESEL: May 24, 2021-HAVASU ROUND 2

 Hello Hello. How is it goin? What a week that we had this week. It is crazy to think that transfers are tomorrow and that 6 weeks are already gone and up. Time flies by when you are serving the Lord. 


This week we had a busy week because a General Authority 70 (Kyle S McKay) came and visited our mission 4 mission tour. It was really cool and he helped us with a lot of things, he talked to us about ways to improve being a missionary, and how to work with members in better ways. It was just a really good mission tour. I actually had an opportunity to meet with him and talk with him a little bit more and that was really interesting and eye opening being interviewed by a General 70. He's a really amazing guy and really down to earth with a rock solid testimony. He spoke in conference in 2019 in October and it was a really good talk if you haven't had a chance to listen to that you should go listen to it. Other than that, that pretty much took up three days of our week and so we were pretty busy with that. 
We had English class and had some new friends come to English class which is always amazing when you see the fruits of your labors.
We went to the stake president's house on Saturday and a little side note he is Polynesian so therefore there was A LOT of food. So needless to say we left the house rolling because of how fat we were. But the food was so yummy.
On Sunday so I guess yesterday we had Church and I gave a talk. That was really humbling experience. I was very prayerful throughout the week to know what I should talk about and in the end I decided to give a talk on Elder Timothy J Dykes General Conference address called "Light Cleveth Unto Light". It was a really good talk that he gave and I will put it down below with a link. I will also put in a Word document if you want to read my talk. But I focused on mental illness in the importance of realizing that were all kind of struggling and it's okay to struggle. I wanted everyone to know that they were not alone in their trials and that with the healing power of the Savior's Atonement we can overcome anything that we face.
Other than that our week was really good and we're just chilling we have transfers like I said so that's cool but yeah thanks for tuning in hope you all have a good week. Know that Jesus loves you and I love you! And I'm praying for all of you.

Hermana Evans

"Light Cleaveth Unto Light"

My talk is at the very bottom 

Pictures
1. Our favorite kids!
2. Cute Puppers
3. Me and my compy
4. Picture with Elder McKay!!!
5. Craft time!!
6. Our Mission President and his Wife






















Your Sliver of Light is Brighter than the Dark

Talk by Sister Evans

 

Good morning brothers and sisters. I was asked to speak on a talk from this past General Conference. This was actually quite difficult to decide. After much prayer and asking my sweet companion 3 million times what I should talk about I can officially testify that angels do live around us. Bless her patient heart. But I decided in the end to talk on the message given by Elder Timothy J. Dykes called, "Light Cleaveth Unto Light".

 

In this talk he mentions a trip that he takes with his sons to a cave. During their adventure they choose to repel off the ledge down the cave and I quote "into a cathedral cavern so tall and wide that it could swallow the Statue of Liberty.", as they are descending down the lights abruptly turn off as a part of the tour to help them understand the true magnitude of the dark.

 

"The unexpected loss of light was designed to show that without electricity, the darkness of the cavern was impenetrable. It succeeded; we “felt” the darkness."

 

Focusing on when he says "we felt the darkness". How does this relate to our lives and apply to us. I felt inspired to focus on mental illness. As someone that struggles with anxiety and depression it seems only fit that I talk about it, my prayer is that my inadequate words may help someone somehow. The definition of darkness is "the absence of light or illumination". There are times when you truly feel the darkness. Like a pit that continues to grow and never ends, where you feel like you can't get out. As some may know I am very open about my mental illness and I am not afraid to talk about it.

 

One thing I will say is, you are not alone. .....and you are seen.

 

In his talk he continues with

 

"When the lights did return, the darkness instantly surrendered, as darkness must always surrender, to even the faintest light."

 

 Not even the darkness can over power a sliver of light. The Lord says in 3 Nephi 11

 

"And behold, I am the light and the life of the world;".

 

We must let his light shine within us. Easier said than done Sister Evans. Yes, I know. Too often than not we are so focused inward on ourselves, reflecting and thinking and oftentimes in my case sinking. When I was in High School I was semi inactive, meaning I did everything all for the wrong reasons. I was losing my testimony and frankly I wasn't doing anything to save it. By the time I graduated and moved down to college I was inactive living my "best life" yikes. Hanging with the wrong people, to try to fit in. In my eyes I hadn't changed, I was still the person I was when I was 15, but to others I was different. I was not a nice person, I was negative, I did not honor my mother and father. I was in a pretty dark place mentally. I was anxious all the time and nothing seemed to get rid of those feelings.

 

At a lesson with the Willinghams this week we talked about this topic and how we can recognize when the Holy Ghost is speaking to us.

 

"As you live to merit the companionship of the Holy Ghost, you truly “increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation.”

   Life presents challenges and setbacks, and we all must face some dark days and storms. Through it all, if we “let God prevail in our lives,” the light of the Holy Ghost will reveal that there is purpose and meaning in our trials, that they will ultimately transform us into better, more complete individuals with a firmer faith and brighter hope in Christ, knowing that God was there with us in our dark days all along."

 

Sometimes I felt so hopeless and so helpless. The word that best describes the way I felt was BROKEN. I wasn't going to the right place for help, I wasn't asking Heavenly to Help me.

 

Elder Dykes says....

 

"Seasons of our lives can take us to places both unexpected and undesirable. If sin has led you there, pull back the curtain of darkness and begin now to humbly approach your Heavenly Father with a broken heart and a contrite spirit and repent. He will hear your earnest prayer. With courage today, “draw near unto [Him] and [He] will draw near unto you.” You are never beyond the healing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ."

 

Alma 7:12

 

"And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."

 

 

My companion has pointed out to me that the word "succor" means to run to. So the Savior ``will know how to run to his people according to their infirmities''. What a gift that we have. Someone who knows exactly how we feel in every moment. Someone who has felt every single emotion of the human spectrum. The purpose of The Atonement is to utilize the healing powers of it. I want everyone to imagine right now in your head a gift in the past that you've worked very hard on for someone, something that has taken hours and hours and you have put your heart and soul into it. Now imagine giving that gift to that person and the first thing they do is throw it away. How do you feel? For me I wouldn't be too happy at first but in the end I would be very sad. Apply this ideology to the Atonement. The Savior has put his heart and soul into something so amazing that we can use it, but we have to actually use it.

 

How do we access the healing powers of the Atonement to bring light into our lives? First, pray. When Alma is counseling with his son he offers him this advice.

 

 

"36 Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; , let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

 

   37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."

 

He promises that if we cry unto the Lord and direct our thoughts towards him that we will be protected and lifted up at the last day.

 

 

Second, be humble. In his talk Elder Dykes recounts a story that his father told him about his grandpa

 

"Late one fall, Grandpa was alone in the high mountains. Winter had already shown its face when he saddled one of his favorite horses, old Prince, and rode to a sawmill to scale and measure logs before they could be sawed into lumber.

   At dusk, he finished his work and climbed back into the saddle. By then, the temperature had plummeted, and a fierce winter snowstorm was engulfing the mountain. With neither light nor path to guide him, he turned Prince in a direction he thought would lead them back to the ranger station.

  

   After traveling miles in the dark, Prince slowed, then stopped. Grandpa repeatedly urged Prince forward, but the horse refused. With blinding snow swirling around them, Grandpa realized he needed God’s help. As he had done throughout his life, he humbly “ask[ed] in faith, nothing wavering.” A still, small voice answered, “Milo, give Prince his head.” Grandpa obeyed, and as he lightened his hold on the reins, Prince swung around and plodded off in a different direction. Hours later, Prince again halted and lowered his head. Through the driving snow, Grandpa saw that they had safely arrived at the gate of the ranger station.

   With the morning sun, Grandpa retraced the faint tracks of Prince in the snow. He drew a deep breath when he found where he had given Prince his head: it was the very brink of a lofty mountain cliff, where a single step forward would have plunged both horse and rider to their deaths in the rugged rocks below."

 

He knew that he was in trouble and that he didn't know where to go. He asked humbly in prayer. Acknowledge that you do not know everything in this world, acknowledge that you will have moments in your life that you will be inches away from a spiritual cliff. Are we going to give Heavenly Father the lead or will we force ourselves over the cliff. We need to realize that we are not enough, and that we will never make it. Tough wake up call, I know, but let me finish that sentence. We will never make it without the Savior, and the beautiful thing is that we don't have to.

 

“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

   “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”

 

Third Listen. Listen to the promptings of the spirit even when he tells you something that you don't want to hear. How can we let the Light of Christ shine within us and guide us if we are not able to hear or recognize that he is reaching out? I mentioned this in the lesson with the willinghams, that before my mission I always had my headphones  playing music to drown out the silence. When there was silence that allowed my mind to spiral. I was not giving the Holy Ghost a place to talk to me. We often drown out the silence in our lives without giving room to the Spirit to give us revelation. We must be able to tune ourselves into the spiritual promptings of the spirit.

 

 

After living in the dark all the time I decided that I wanted a change. I reached out to my Heavenly Father in humble prayer and when I listened I received my answer. Serve. Now, when I thought when I got the answer to serve it meant to weed someone's yard or go to the homeless shelter, Later I was told again more clearly that I needed to serve as a Full Time missionary. At the beginning of my journey I was completely lost but now I am happier than I have ever been. Do I still have my bad days? Of course! I can promise you that if you rely on the Savior in those hard times that the bad days aren't that bad.

 

Helaman 5:12 says

 

"12 And now, my sons, [and daughters] remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

 

Elder Dykes ends with a very powerful testimony.

 

"There is no darkness that can ever suppress, extinguish, overpower, or defeat that light. Our Heavenly Father freely offers that light to you. You are never alone. He hears and answers every prayer. He has “called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.” When you ask, “Father, Father, are You there?” He will always reply, “I’m here, child of mine; I’m right here.”

 

 I testify that I know that struggles are real and they affect everyone in this world. Trails are necessary, misery is optional. I know that through earnest prayer and humbly listening to the spirit we can have the light shine brighter in our lives. I know that Jesus Christ took on all our pains so that he could run to us in those dark hours. My invitation to you is to ask for help. Trial of faith, dealing with loss, mental illness, or feeling broken are all feelings we may have to endure in this life, but we will never have to do it alone. I love you all so much and I am very grateful for this gospel. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

 




Comments

Popular Posts